Animal Care and Use Review Office (ACURO)
The Animal Care and Use Review Office (ACURO), a component of the USAMRDC Office of Research Protections (ORP), provides oversight of the implementation of USAMRDC, U.S. Army, and Department of Defense (DoD) policies regarding use of animals in research, development, testing, evaluation, and training. While the ACURO is located organizationally at the USAMRDC in Fort Detrick, Maryland, ACURO's responsibility for laboratory animal welfare extends beyond Fort Detrick to a large number of recipients of USAMRDC managed contracts and grants involving animals conducted or supported by DoD.
Specific ACURO functions include:
- Principal advisor to USAMRDC and Army on matters related to animal care and use in research development, testing, and evaluation (RDT&E) and training
- Directs the Army's Laboratory Animal Medicine (LAM) Residency Program. A training program recognized by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM).
- Prepare responses to public, congressional, and other inquiries concerning animal use in the Department of Defense (DoD) add concerning animal use in the Army and, by Agreement, for those Department of Defense (DoD) organizations supported by Agreement.
- Review all extramural animal use proposals supported by MRDC and other DoD organizations (by agreement) for compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines
- Review all protocols conducted at subordinate U.S. Army laboratories. and other laboratories by agreement, involving use of dogs, cats, non-human primates, marine mammals, and human medical training for compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines
- Perform site visits/compliance inspections to DoD and extramural research sites to ensure compliance with applicable animal use regulations and standards
- ACURO Appendix
- ACURO Protocol Change Guidance
- ACURO COVID-19 Guidance for Customers
- ACURO Reporting Guidance
Questions regarding ACURO should be directed to ACURO at Phone: 301-619-6694, Email:Usarmy.email@example.com